Audio Only- Identification and Management of Opioid and Substance Use Disorders in Pediatric Dental Practice - Part 1
Recorded On: 05/22/2020
This lecture will discuss common drugs abused by children and adolescents, and provide the attendee with approaches in identifying and managing patients with opioid and substance use disorders in the pediatric dental practice. Logic for using, signs, symptoms, behaviors, and effects on the developing brain will be highlighted. Dental treatment recommendations, brief interventions, effective referral protocol, and resources for family members will be discussed.
Be sure to listen to Part 2 of this lecture on Saturday, May 23!
- Describe alcohol and drug use in early adolescence with progression to opioid and substance use disorders in late adolescence.
- discuss the neurocognitive effects of addictive substances on the developing adolescent brain.
- discuss patterns, trends, epidemiology, and contributing factors to opioid and other substance use \ abuse among the child and adolescent population
- highlight similarities, differences, and discuss challenges of adolescents with co-occurring substance use and psychiatric disorders.
- discuss how the pediatric dental practitioner and staff can identify and manage substance use and withdrawal syndrome behaviors in patients.
- recognize and deliver safe dental procedures for children and adolescents who are actively using alcohol and \ or other drugs; or are currently receiving treatment for opioid and substance use disorders.
- demonstrate and provide the pediatric dentist with brief interventions, referrals and resources for the family.